Community Organizer Position
At Toxics Action Center, we start from the core belief that everyone has a right to breathe clean air, drink clean water, and live in a healthy community where government operates responsively and democratically. Our mission is to make these rights a reality by organizing side by side with residents who are facing toxic threats. We train residents in the skills and know-how they need to run effective local campaigns, while also developing long-term leaders to fuel New England’s progressive movements.
Over the last 26 years, Toxics Action Center has organized side by side with residents in more than 700 communities as the 911 of the environmental movement, winning countless victories to protect public health and the environment and sparking broader state and regional policy changes.
We are seeking community organizers who know that it takes an engaged and active citizenry to make democracy work, hold polluters accountable, and win real results for public health and the environment.
That’s where you come in. You know that corporate polluters will go to great lengths to avoid responsibility for their messes, and that government bureaucracies are slow to act. You also believe in the power of building groups and strengthening communities.
- Campaign development: You’ll identify the biggest local environmental threats, enter the threatened communities, and build relationships with key local leaders
- Community organizing training and leadership development: You will conduct group training consultations on campaign skills as well as running one-on-one coaching and leadership development sessions with community leaders.
- Coordinate coalitions: You will work with the traditional environmental community, volunteer activists, and unlikely allies to build public support to influence decision-.
- Communications: You will work to increase the organization’s media presence and name recognition through events, news releases, campaign materials, and online organizing.
- Fundraising: You will identify and cultivate donors, assist with grant-writing, and participate in other grassroots fundraising tactics including door-to-door canvassing and planning other fundraising events.
The ideal candidate is passionate about community organizing and movement building. Candidates must be ambitious, have leadership experience, strong written and verbal communication skills, and have a track record of accomplishment. We value previous organizing experience, including organizing on campus.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate possesses. We offer a competitive benefits package including health care, 401(k), education loan assistance, and paid vacation and sick days. Opportunities for advancement, travel and additional training are available.
We are hiring Community Organizers in Portland, ME, West Hartford, CT, Boston, MA, and Amherst, MA.
Apply online at http://toxicsaction.org/page/tac/apply. Direct your application to Sylvia Broude, Executive Director. We’ll review you application and if we are if we are interested in discussing your candidacy further, we will be in touch with you shortly.
Toxics Action Center is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the base of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Get Help Now
Get Email Updates
Sign up to join Toxics Action Center's email activist list.
We are currently recruiting for the following jobs:
- Community Organizer - Boston, MA and Portland, ME
- State Director - Portland, ME
- Organizing Director - Boston, MA, Montpelier, VT, or Portland, ME
Click here to see internship opportunities.